To put it simply: it's been quite the winter here in New York City. I'm dreaming of summer night + the sun warming my soul. This evening I stumbled upon this shot of Rachael from a while back, and it made me smile.
Los Angeles Wedding Photographer
It has been quite the year for me so far, and it's only the end of January! So many changes and transitions in my life that I want to celebrate with you!
Last fall I made the move from Los Angeles to New York City, and it has been quite the journey! I redid my wedding website + logo, launched my editorial photography site, and have continued to pursue my style blog! It's been a season of dream chasing, and I hope I am always pursuing those things that I am most passionate about.
I am newly a member of the fabulous vendor team for the wonderful wedding blog Once Wed. To celebrate my move from coast to coast, and all of the lovely changes in my life I want to gift one couple with 8 hours of wedding photography anywhere in the world. (Of course I'm partial to New York City + Los Angeles, but for a couple with a beautiful journey I am will to pack my bags and go on an adventure!)
What next? Go to my giveaway post on OnceWed for full contest details, leave a comment with your wedding date, venue, your story, and why you want me as your wedding photographer! I believe in the power of story, and I believe in connecting with my clients.
I want to know you, your journey, your unique path that is bringing you to one of the most important days of your life!
I cannot wait to hear all of your lovely stories friends!
To risk is to love, and to love is to fully live. Cheers to a beautiful 2013.
It was a quiet Sunday afternoon in Malibu. The weather was perfect; there was a tiny hint of crisp fall wrapped in the warmth of sunny Southern California. They played Album Leaf and Gypsy Kings throughout the day if that gives you any hint of the feel of this wonderful couple. Andrew and Violeta met years ago on set filming a movie. By the end of filming they were an item, and have been partners ever since.
Andrew and Violeta as you are both incredibly talented creatives it was an honor and privilege to photograph your wedding. Thank you for entrusting me...and I hope Hawaii is amazing!
There are so many reasons why I adore First Looks; it's this quite space of time between the bride and the groom where in the midst of a whirlwind of a day they get these quiet moments together. Andrew and Violeta's first look brought tears to my eyes. They were both so nervous and excited, yet when they saw each other it was like their souls just let out a big breath of air. It was so lovely to be be there for it.
Violeta is a make-up artist inLA, and she did her own make-up for her wedding; it was FLAWLESS.
Venue: Calamigos Ranch
Coordinator: Mindy Events
Assistant: Emily Blake
It's been a crazy few weeks of shooting, but no I have not forgotten about you!
Here's a shot from a recent shoot that I cannot wait to share!! (I'm all about EXCLAMATIONS today...can you tell!!?!?)
2012... Where did you go? You seem to have slipped through my fingers. Once again I find myself at the end of another year, and let me tell you 2012 has been quite the year. When this year started the word that came to mind for the next 12 months was transition. I really did not know what that would entail, but it has entailed quite a bit.
This year I started my own business, which I honestly thought I would never do. I feel like I have been thrown into this journey that I never expected to be on, and more than anything I feel so thankful. Thankful for the opportunities, thankful for those of you who have supported and cheered me on, thankful for clients that trust me, and thankful oh-so-thankful that I get to wake up and do what I love to do.
This year, I have had the privilege to photograph some beautiful weddings! Here are some of my favorite wedding images from 2012...
Stay Tuned for more of my 2012 faves:)
Client Meetings. First impressions.
Gulp...this can be scary right? Well, in my opinion it doesn't have to be...as long as you stay true to who you are. You'll notice that all three of us: Emily, Sarah, and myself have quite different styles, but check out our websites and our client base and you'll find that we are each trying to stay true to our brands through and through.
My business is called Kat Harris Photography. My name is my brand, just as many of you who are in the creative world. While it is a top priority and non-negotiable to hone in on your craft and have a solid product/service to offer your clients; it is a mistake to solely focus on your photography. Everything about me, Kat Harris, embodies my brand. People are hiring not just a finished product, but an entire experience that only YOU can offer.
Because of this, what you wear when you meet with potential and existing clients is extremely important. It reveals something about your brand: your style, your target market is, your brand personality, etc.
My goal when I go to meet with a client is to be: classic, tailored, with a hint of bohemian. In essence my goal is to represent myself as fully as I can. The right client will connect not only connect with your finished product but the entire package.
Photographed by: Sarah Shreves
- Why did you choose this outfit? I chose this outfit because I wanted to look tailored and put together. The pencil skirt really allowed me to do this. To add some bohemian flares I chose to wear my suede booties (which are so comfortable), my 31 Bits necklace, and a blousy top.
- Was it a success or failure? Why? Success! What I will say though is that after wearing this skirt to a meeting I know I cannot wear it to shoot in; it kept shifting around as I was walking. For meeting purposes however; it was just fine!
- Can you list the brands of all the major/key pieces from the look? Silk Jacket: Club Monaco; Blouse: Madewell; Skirt: Talbots; Shoes: Urban Outfitters; Necklace: 31 Bits; Bracelet: Kiel James Patrick
Photographed by: Simply Jessie
- Why did you choose this outfit? This was a good outfit challenge for me because growing up in LA I never had to layer like you need to layer in San Francisco. I chose a pencil skirt / tights / sweater combo because it blends professional and casual perfectly. It allowed me to feel put together but not too formal for a client meeting.
- Was it a success or failure? Why? It was a pretty successful outfit, though I did have a bit of trouble when I hit the steep SF streets in my 4" heels...
- Can you list the brands of all the major/key pieces from the look? Sweater + Pencil Skirt: JCrew; Top: Nordstrom BP; Shoes: Zara; Bag: Dooney&Burke
Photographed by: Kat Harris
- Why did you choose this outfit? When i meet with my clients, I want to give them the truest representation of me. and this is it. I rarely wear heals especially with clients because im tall to begin with and I dont want to be towering over them! probably more casual + laid back than people would assume, my style is simple. Most of my clients are that too: driven, creative and bold but also easy going, know how to have a good time (on the dance floor) and not too cool for school.
- Was it a success or failure? Why? Yeah, you cant go wrong with a statement tee and skinnies. These pants are actually more of a legging so i do wish they had some pockets on them. I need to find a good pair of stretchy, high waisted black pants. Anyone have recommendations?
- Can you list the brands of all the major/key pieces from the look? Shoes: Alexander Wang (Similar); Pants: F21 (Similar) Tee: Vintage Weltenbuerger in Venice ; Jewelry: all vintage finds
Style wise Sarah puts me to shame. She oozes LA through and through. Basically she's so much cooler than I'll ever be. What I love about Sarah is that no matter what she stays true to who she is, which in essence attracts her target market. Please please check out her work HERE, she has shot some really rad stuff!
Photographed by: Kat Harris
- Why did you choose this outfit? This outfit is all me: comfortable, contemporary and clean. I chose it because its all my go to pieces in one outfit. You cannot go wrong with these staple pieces.
- Was it a success or failure? Why? Total success..only for socal weddings that are super casual though.
- Can you list the brands of all the major/key pieces from the look? Jacket: Theyskens Theory (Similar); Shirt: Zara (Similar); Leggings: Zara (Similar); Shoes: BCBG (Similar); Jewelry: Feliks and Adriks